Here are some of my favorite reads from the past week:
- T NATION | 6 Questions About Tempo Training: http://bit.ly/z88O67
- Powerlifts: The Squat vs. The Deadlift http://ow.ly/8JQ6m from Charles Poliquin
- All About the Bench Press: http://ow.ly/8JIYU from Jim Wendler
- Tips for Improving Your Speed and reducing Risk of Injury: http://ow.ly/8Jfi7 from SAPT Strength
- How to do a perfect push up http://ow.ly/8Jfab from SAPT Strength
- SAPT Exercise of the Week: Goblet Squat to Stepback Lunge from SAPT Strength
- Cardio Bunny? Stop It – Stop It Now!: http://ow.ly/8FL3Z from Sohee Lee
- Intermittent Fasting 201: http://ow.ly/8JQDU from John Romaniello
- Is salt bad for you? http://ow.ly/8JCGA from Eric Cressey
- Why “bulking” and “cutting” is dead http://ow.ly/8FaIC from Jason Ferruggia
- 2 Keys to Less Knee Pain: http://ow.ly/8JGWNfrom Mike Robertson
- Static stretching might not be so bad. Study shows static stretches <60 sec don’t diminish performance http://ow.ly/8EsdI from PEAKc
- 10 Musts for Healthy Knees: http://ow.ly/8ErcJ from SAPTstrength
- Cauliflower Curry Couscous Recipe http://ow.ly/8EpYV from Neghar Fonooni
Give these a read and let me know what you think
I read a lot of articles and blog posts from trainers, coaches, doctors, nutritionists, etc. every week and I learn a lot from them.
To spread the knowledge around, I’ve decided to add a weekly blog post with links to my favorite reads of that week.
Here’s this weeks list:
- The Importance of Building Mental Toughness in Your Clients from John Izzo
- Knowing When to Walk Away from JC Deen
- 11 Beginner Strength Training Tips for Women from Nia Shanks
- The Relationship Between Exercise & Inflammation and What it Means for Your Workout by Mark Sissan
- The Front Squat vs Back Squat Debate by Ben Bruno
- Vertical Jump Initial Testing: Is it All It’s Cracked Up to Be? by SAPT Strength
- Awesome Core Exercises by SAPT Strength
- Thoughts on Early Sport Specialization by SAPT Strength
- 21 Awesome and Inspiring Videos from the Past Week by Ben Bruno
- How to Keep Your Shoulders Strong and Healthy by JC Deen
- 2 Deep Squatting Tips and My 20 Rep Squat Experiment by Anthony Mychal
- 24 Productivity Tips for the Fitness Business Owner by Pat Rigsby
- Can You Train Yourself to Become a Morning Person? NY Times Tara Parker-Pope
I also post these on twitter as I read them so feel free to follow me: @rgerdon
Sit in the pec deck backwards for your upper back. Can you put a dumbbell in the crook of your elbow to work delts? and a barbell for shrugs?
Good ideas! My cast goes past my elbow for right now but I’m getting a shorter one next week so then I can try your delt exercise suggestion.
I might be able to do small shrugs now… I’ll try tomorrow
Thanks again! :)
One good thing about having a broken wrist is that I am forced to be creative and think of new ways to workout. I’m not just going to sit around all day and lose some of the progress I have made. ;)
So the obvious things I can do are all the leg machines at the gym. However, I want compound exercises and I want to work more than my legs.
So here’s what I’ve figured out that I can do:
- Front Squats - with the bar on my shoulders and my arms crossed, I can squat almost as much as I could if I had the bar in my hands (Olympic lift style) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whyzgd1r8CM&context=C34a9d9aADOEgsToPDskJu03q03Qpdv0n8CRPdNyAb
- Reverse Lunges - holding the bar the same way I do the front squats
- Weighted Back Extensions - with a dip belt around me, I can work my lower back without having to hold a weight in my arms. It’ll do until I can deadlift again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTzGBGEhjD0&context=C3a8c38dADOEgsToPDskJUDhseUE72Go1xtZI_so7g
I’m still trying to come up with a way to work my upper back & shoulders so if anyone has any suggestions, let me know?
ADfadsjhlfgsdjlhfga JEALOUS! I watched his documentary. It was awesome. And screw the Minimus. Seriously. New Balance as a whole sucks and makes bad shoes. Go with the Merrell gloves
I like New Balance stuff. I’m trying to find a pair of trail shoes I like. So far I’ve tried the Montrail Rogue Racer and liked it, but I want to try the NB Minimus and the Merrell trail glove before I buy!
I took a long break from tumblr but I miss you all and I miss blogging so I think I will start back up again!
Some updates about me:
- I’m just starting my Junior year at UNC-CH and I’m LOVING all of my classes!! (Exercise Physiology + lab, Fitness Management, Theory & Application of Strength & Conditioning, and Religion in the Americas). Seriously, it’s going to be a great semester ;)
- I’m having to rethink how I workout for the next 5 weeks because I broke my wrist while snowboarding last week. :( Mainly I’m doing a lot of leg work with some cardio thrown in when I feel like it. I can’t wait to get this cast off and hope it doesn’t affect my strength too much,
- My new favorite sport to do is Olympic lifting. (Actually, the day I broke my arm I had set a new PR for cleans (130lbs) and snatches (95lbs).)
- I started taking martial arts lessons! It’s really fun and makes me feel good
- Last night I met Ultra runner Anton Krupicka when he came to speak at my local Fleet Feet store. He’s a really cool dude who loves running for hours and hours. He actually did his 1st marathon when he was only 12.
- We got a kitten! Well my roommate did but he’s a sweetheart named Diesel ;)
- I helped write a couple of articles for our Campus Recreation magazine and it looks amazing! So now I can say I wrote for a campus publication :)
That’s about it for now. Thanks to everyone for sticking with me! I’ll have more cool posts to come :)